Wednesday, September 11, 2013

It's Tree Time!

See what I did there?
Tree time instead of tea time? 
I know. I'm hilarious.

Before we get to the heart of the matter, I'd like to let you know an upcoming month long 'project' called Crock-tober. I saw the phrase in a book, and decided to make my Mom and sister do it with me, which lead to a comment on Facebook, which lead to others wanting to going, and here we are. It's a thing now.


This is not a food blog, but it's the best way to get the recipes, shopping lists and links out. Since I don't hate cooking and I love LOVE my crock pot, it's happening. Despite all the work it will take, I'm excited. My dad is too. He just doesn't know it yet. 

Now, for Arts and Crafts time with Amy.


I found this at Sugar and Charm and it calls for a styrofoam cone covered in paper. Have you ever bought one of those? They are at least $3 and never on sale. My plan was to make several in different sizes and with different covers. And I'm cheap. Instead, I used kraft colored card stock. AKA brown. Rolled one into a cone, glued it and cut the bottom to make it flat and that left me with a stencil for the next one. Glued the second to the first and I was left with a fairly sturdy cone. For less than a buck. (Because the paper was on sale at the Lobby of Hobbies.)





After this worked, I got a pack of 25 of the paper for $3 on sale. Which it is about every other week there.

And then came the gluing of the pinecones. Big and little. Start at the top, but not the tip top, save that for the perfect one later. The first few were slow because I needed to let the glue dry and be secure, but after that, I would glue, hold and keep going at a pretty good pace. The whole project took over an hour, but it could have been faster. That's not my living room, it's my friends. She had a 'bring your own craft' day. A bag of mini pine cones are $3 and I already had the bigger ones. On sale at Target last year for a whopping 90 cents. One bag of minis and a few bigs only covered the front 2/3's. But where it sits, can you tell?


The orange garland was bought at Hobby Lobby too. On sale. That goes without saying. I'm thinking of spray painting one in chalkboard paint? One in red glitter balls. Who knows. While everyone else is all about the snowmen, I'm in love with trees for Fall/Christmas/Winter decorating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment