Monday, August 12, 2013

A Fire Pit That Was As Easy At It Looks

One day, a few years ago, my Main Man decided we should have a fire pit. So he dug a circle about 3 ft across and went off to get cheap bricks to put around it. 

Which was great. 
Until he decided it wasn't and made it bigger.

Know what happens when you have a big fire pit? You have a giant fire. Not a fun little 'roast a few marshmallows' fire. A roaring fire. Of course you don't have to. But give men a pile of wood and it will happen. I promise.

We didn't use it at all last year, and I wasn't about to let that happen again. I've been reading The Tao of Martha by Jen Lancaster and she throws wonderful parties! A S'Mores party it is!

Except our fire pit looked a little run down. What did I do at temperatures were soaring into the 80's at noon? I tore every brick out. Then off to Lowe's I went. But not without a little Pinspiration!






I got nothing like any of those. Although I really like the last one, but it would have meant a lot more work because ours was already started, and not like that.

An almost finished product:

I didn't do the bricks on the bottom with much care because A) that was all we had from a different project and B) I wasn't sure how I felt about the idea. 

Wanna know a secret? It's a planter box! After doing the math, they were cheaper and easier. $18 for the 4 long pieces and 4 connectors. I did a layer of bricks underneath because they were cheaper and hidden. That big circle is size of the old one. Huge, right! I need one more bag of stone. Think about how easy it will be to mow around too!

In all, it took less than 2 hours. To tear apart the old one, go get the bricks, put it together and add the stones. 


It was money well spent. We had a great night with great family and friends. I can't wait to spend my fall in my back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment